A quick review of the quick book Doctor Who: The Crawling Terror

Doctor Who: The Crawling Terror by Mike Tucker

Ok, I love these ones. The Doctor faces a menace on Earth. Eerily reminiscent of adventures by the likes of the Third and Fourth Doctors, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, this Doctor Who adventure is a great, quick, adventurous read.

Such simple writing, yet it builds to a crescendo of a climax. Reading almost like a screenplay, this episode in the adventures of the Doctor could easily be transformed into an actual episode of the TV series.
Unfortunately, the hard part is recommending it. Yes, I love reading these Doctor Who books and this one in particular was very good. Of the couple dozen Doctor Who novels I have read over the years, this has been one of my favorites. The character of The Doctor, though, could be just about any of his incarnations--there’s nothing here that screams individuality except for the one paragraph or so that specifically told me which Doctor this was, that could be changed for any incarnation.

And I just don’t see how anyone is spending $9.99 (U.S.) on this book. At only 250 pages, and several of those are blank in between chapters, there’s nothing but about three hours entertainment in these pages. I’ll be honest: if I had not received this as a free book from Bloggingforbooks.org, I’d never have purchased it. This would be a good book to go halves on with a friend, maybe.

But it is a good read. It kept me guessing and thoroughly entertained for those three hours I spent reading it. This would be great, if adapted to a TV show episode.

Author info at
http://www.randomhouse.com/author//

More info at http://www.randomhouse.com/book//by
"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

Comments