Review of Cimarronin

I received this book through NetGalley:

The Foreworld Saga: Cimarronin: Fall of the Cross #1

Written by Neal Stephenson, Charles C. Mann, Mark Teppo, Ellis Amdur

Art by Dean Kotz

You'd think with four writers that a reader would be able to tell what is going on in the story.

After reading issue #1, I have no idea who these characters are, nor do I care about them at all. Sure, I understand that there's a leader of the Africans who get hauled off as slaves, that there is one white man who wants to fight as well, but the entire narrative is so disjointed and hard to follow that I have no idea who is who. The bad guys are one dimensional. The good guys seem to have no real passion to me. Sorry for saying this, but this just appears to be a group effort to quickly write a basic story and get it out there. I don't feel any real passion.

Except for the art, I don't see any passion in this book whatsoever. Dean Kotz showcases some great images that help to propel the story, and without his work, I wouldn't have even finished issue number one here.

This is my main problem with graphic novels and comics lately: the lack of storytelling text boxes. I just don't believe that a story can be adequately told without talking to the reader. You can't do it all with dialogue. Rarely does this work, and mostly it only works with properties and characters that are as familiar to the reader as family. It does not work here at all.

Comments