A review of the Target exclusive of Star Wars' BB-8 RC toy


September 4th was Force Friday, when all the cool new toys for Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out for the first time. I think that's what they said. I thought I was really into toys, but it turns out that I am not the biggest geek on the block. I should have gone to Wal-Mart at 12:01 am. I waited until after work, about 4 pm, and I didn't realize how picked over everything would be. So I missed the Funko Pop of the Sandtrooper and the Dewback, gosh darn it.

After grabbing a few new toys from Wal-Mart, my wife and I went to Target. I didn't even realize that Target would have exclusives too.

BB-8 brings back that feeling I had as a four-year-old looking at R2-D2. Just cool. I wish I still had my Droid Factory. I'll have to eBay for that...

But my wife let me pick up the BB-8 radio controlled robot. It was a hefty amount as I looked at it: $79.99. We thought we'd never see it again, so go ahead and grab it now.

It is pretty cool, all in all. The sounds are great. The movement is pretty interesting, with the magnetic head. Point its eye in one direction and it goes! If it stays sitting for a moment by itself, it will make some chirps and whistles occasionally before it puts itself in a sleep mode. You can twist its head all the way around and make it go back and forward. 

Unfortunately, that's all it does. Just goes forward and backward and the head spins around, making chirps every so often. Those are the only two buttons on the remote control. 

I would have thought they might make a button to produce a sound whenever you wanted one. And don't try to take it over any kind of uneven surface. It cannot make the roll over linoleum onto carpet at all. And I have found that the head will roll off with relative ease if there are any bumps. It is really easy to get back on, but just that it falls off is a bit annoying.

So I don't see why it was priced so high. If I had known that that was all it would do, I wouldn't have gotten it. Not at all. I like it--it looks really nice. It is just not worth the price at all. Maybe half the price and I still would balk at it.

Comments

  1. And don't try to take it over any kind of uneven surface. It cannot make the roll over linoleum onto carpet at all. And I have found that the head will roll off with relative ease if there are any bumps. It is really easy to get back on, but just that it falls off is a bit annoying. www.buybb8droid.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment