How to watch most movies on Roku without ads

I like bad old movies. I don't know why. I don't have to think, I can do something else, and I just generally get a kick out of how bad some old movies are. Lots of movies are now in the public domain. That's free to you and me.

I have Roku, simply a fantastic invention that would be worth five times the cost of its initial purchase. I pay for Netflix, Amazon, and Crunchyroll. Worth twice what I would pay for cable.

Yet sometimes I like bad TV. I installed some of those channels like ADC (now Tubi TV),

So I started watching a show on Retro SciFi channel. Why aren't they honest and just say Public Domain science fiction. They even run out of SciFi and have to fill it in with other drama and noir PD movies. I tried to watch Torture Ship, based on a Jack London story. The feed kept stopping on me. Yes, it picks up where I left off but it is very irritating to keep pressing play every fifteen seconds. Yes, I restarted Roku but it kept doing it. I had to start another movie.

And then I simply got severely annoyed at the commercials. I wouldn't mind the commercials if they did them better. They get them from AdRise, which pretty much tells me that the movie feed stops, accesses the ad, then goes back to the movie. So there are all sorts of loading pauses. I don't mind commercials, but I highly mind watching a progress bar informing me that I am waiting for a commercial to load. I never have pauses with Netflix, another indication that the channel is accessing somewhere else. Granted, the pauses asrent very long but I can't stand waiting for a commercial to load.

The worst part of the commercials is that there is usually the same one over and over. I just watched the same Lexus LS commercial four times in a row. Literally back to back to back to back. That's annoying. And they jam on me every once in a while, necessitating a channel or even a Roku reset.

So I came up with a workaround.

First of all, go to http://thenowhereman.com/roku/ and install the Internet Archive channel. You'll have to login to your Roku account but it is a very easy process and worth the time of sitting through just one set of the same commercial four times in a row.

You can still keep those other channels installed, simply for a better catalogue and the movie posters that show and explain the movie better. Get the name of the movie you want to see and then search for it on Internet Archive Channel.

As long as the movie is public domain it should be in the Archive. I think that's where these little Roku channels get them from anyway. So this won't work for Crackle (whose ads aren't too bad), or any content channels not in public domain.

Comments