The Force Awakens --SPOILERS-- is a Reboot and a much better film

Before I see the movie: Ok, so I have been waiting for this movie since 1983.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The sequel to Return of the Jedi.

I have tried not to pay too much attention to internet and rumors about this movie. I do not want it spoiled. I don't want chatter telling me what others think and taint my own expectations.

However, I think the trailers have ruined a big surprise.

So before the movie comes out, before I see it Friday night, December 18, 2015, in an IMAX theater (and then again on Saturday night because my wife won a contest for us to be Jedi VIPs at a closed theater), I want to write down what I think is going to happen. I am writing this on 12/14/15 about 7:30 pm but I will not hit the publish button until after I see it. And then I will write again about my analysis.

First of all, this dark Jedi with the lightsaber that has the two extra lasers coming off the hilt--I think his name is Kylo Ren--must be Luke Skywalker. The trailer I watched with Darth Vader's burned helmet kind of hit a chord. But this means they are doing it right. Luke sees that his father was trying to beat the Dark Side. He encompasses his father's dream, his father's vision, and is trying to save it all, no matter how dark it makes him. Who else knows where the burned helmet is?

Second, we see Han in the trailers, but no Luke. (I don't think I've seen Leia either, come to think of it.)

No matter what, it looks good. It looks stylish.

Now going to see the movie, in 3-D IMAX, no less...


UPDATE: 1-18-2015

Ok, first of all, I should have done this sooner, but it doesn't change much. I've seen The Force Awakens twice now.

I should have thought that Kylo Ren was one of the kids. That has always been my original idea--that the next Jedi that tries to save everyone has to be either Luke or one of the kids. That's the allegory. Anakin tried to encompass both the dark and the light in order to beat the greater evil. Now his kid, usually Luke, or one of the descendants has to do it.

And the scene on the bridge just about proves this to me. He doesn't want to do it, but he has to give the Dark Side something to prove he is dark. That's the only way he can defeat this Snoke guy and whatever Snoke stands for.

Overall, this is what Star Wars was supposed to be. Lucas didn't handle it right. That's why J.J. Abrams basically just rebooted it all--that's what my wife came up with and it fits.

Look at what Abrams did to Star Trek. It was a fantastic idea--have some guy go back to the past, bring the old Spock with him, and change everything. Technically, all those previous adventures with Kirk, Picard, everyone still exist. They happened. Even though they are now part of an alternate timeline, they happened. That scenario is important to fans. Don't just delete everything I have known and loved. Abrams didn't delete. Bringing the old Spock back to the past proves they happened. And now you can re-do them all.

Every single fan of Star Wars has seen the movies hundreds of times. We are not saying a dozen or so, we are saying hundreds of times. I alone must have seen the original three a bare minimum of fifty times each. Bare minimum. So when you just recreate the story that a droid has secret plans (map) and must get them to the hidden rebel base while picking up a desert kid who doesn't know anything yet is the most important person in the galaxy by none other than Han Solo, stop at a creature cantina, get trapped on and then have to blow up an even bigger version of the Death Star, fans are going to notice. (There was a bit of Return of the Jedi in there too, with Han having to go down to the service to destroy the force generator before they could blow up the Death Star, but I digress.)

The Force Awakens is a reboot without rebooting, without putting the old characters in the same places. Put new characters into the same positions as the old characters. The characters aren't necessary--the allegory is. In a way, we needed the old Star Wars: A New Hope to introduce us to all of these, as of 1977, revolutionary new ideas and concepts. The Force Awakens doesn't have to explain the Force, or the Empire, or Darth Vader, or Luke Skywalker, or any of it. In a way, A New Hope is a fantastic piece of exposition that The Force Awakens leans on.

If the whole idea of Star Wars is to destroy evil in the galaxy, The Force Awakens is a much better film. Now we will have the ultimate plan put together by Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren, Luke is having Kylo Ren, who must be even stronger with the Force, go deep into the Dark Side, actually giving in to it. Luke must know, and this is probably why he has been hiding, he must know that he is sacrificing Han Solo (and my guess is that Leia could have been a sacrifice too but it all works on father-son lines in Star Wars).

Kylo Ren will be able to encompass both the light and the dark and defeat the Sith.

And I think it would be cool is Snoke were Palpatine again, or whatever Palpatine is. Allegorically, he is just the Evil One. This whole rumor about Snoke being Darth Plagueis simply doesn't matter if Abrams threw out the expanded universe anyway. There's no mention of Plagueis in the other films. Palpatine should be like Evil Re-incarnate. That's what all the clones were always originally for, vessels for the evil presence.


Comments