Something new I noticed in Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner

I've watched all these episodes dozens of times and it is great when I see something new. This masterpiece, like great literature, keeps on giving if the viewer keeps digging.

Watching for class lately three episodes, I noticed a little tidbit. When you watch an episode three times in one day, you see new things. (I have to show it for three sections.) I saw some parallel s with #6's piped jacket.

"The Schizoid Man" has the obvious parallel with the black jacket versus the white-jacketed imposter. Sometimes I think they produced it with the two different colors just for the audience's sake to keep track. But there has to be something more.

Then "Checkmate" and I can't believe I never saw this before. The chess champion is wearing just about the same suit as #6. He is defiant against authority and has apparently never given up. Is this a little glimpse at #6's future? Is this what #6 will become if there is never a climax?

In "A Change of Mind" in the initial sitting room before the committee, another man is in the waiting room with a piped jacket. He moves away from #6 twice, specifically after #6 looks at or nods greeting at him. Is this yet another possibility of #6, one that has given in with this new pressure and doesn't want those old rebellious ways to interfere with his happiness anymore?

Just something interesting. Clearly, something is here otherwise they'd be wearing different outfits. Clearly.

I may have to try watching all of the episodes with no sound so tyhast I can concentrate on these small background visuals.

Comments