Review of Doctor Who: The Blood Cell

Doctor Who: The Blood Cell

By James Goss

As an English teacher, I read a lot of fiction. As a Doctor Who fan, I have read quite a few of the books. The Blood Cell by James Goss is one of the best that I have come across.

This book has something different from most Who books--it is told as a first person narrative from the “Governor” of the prison asteroid. I find this to be a great plot device, especially with hardly knowing the Twelfth Doctor very well yet. It seems to me that books like this sort of disguise which Doctor it is written for because it doesn’t really matter. Telling this one in first person hides that fact very neatly. Also, the reader does not really have to know Doctor Who at all in order to enjoy it. This could be one of those books you give your non-Doctor friends in order to have a go and see if they’ll join you for more.

It reads like a screenplay. I’d be willing to wager that some of these books were just not optioned for a television episode, even though this one deservedly should be one. It is fast paced and exciting and had me riveted to the climax like a Harry Potter novel.

Still, my main concern with these Doctor Who novels is the price. This one is $9.99 U.S. It’s such a fast book, even though it reads very well, that there is just not a lot here for the money. This is one to take on a plane ride for a great little adventure.

Overall, it is an exceptional Doctor Who book. Engrossing and rapidly moving, this book is well worth the time.

More info
Author info

Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Comments