Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"

Season 3, Episode 15.

This episode opens with a rogue shuttlecraft that I swear looks like a tissue box.

Two aliens have been chasing each other for 50,000 years. There is a form of racism involved here. They are both half black and half white, symmetrically, but white and black on different sides. This is a decent example of the stupidity of racism, much like Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches.

They are quite powerful too, as one of them beams through deflector shields, has an invisible ship which would be a technological marvel, can mentally take control of the Enterprise, and burns out memory banks just by pointing. They also have personal shields that can prevent a phaser stun.

When talkng about racism, Chekhov says,"There was persecution on Earth once. I remember reading about it in my history class."

(SIDEBAR: I had a similar memory with this as the first time I taught To Kill a Mockingbird at South Kitsap when I swear the students could not see the racism and had no idea why the town hated Tom Robinson worse than the Ewells.)

Sulu responds, "Yes, but it happened way back in the twentieth century. There's no such primitive thinking today." If only, my friend.

Comments