The Girl in the Road is dizzy

The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrnes is a dizzying futuristic trip.


In this future is a tale of a girl fleeing from the violence of the patriarchal culture she comes from. There's a bridge now that travels from Ethiopia to India. 

The hard part is that it is told from alternating first-person points of view between the girls. 

It seems like, and all the stuff I've read about it, is that it will be some kind of sci-fi action thriller, but that is not the case. While it was interesting with its themes and symbolism, it was downright slow in places. I don't like a preachy book and I felt like I was being preached to. And the one controversial scene in the book feels like it was thrown in to give people something to talk about just to move the book in the stores.

I felt bored and trudged through it. I did not find it poetic but rather pretentious. 


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Comments