Will Pacific Rim be only one movie?

Finally got around to watching Pacific Rim. Really enjoyed it overall. Hey, kaiju Godzilla-like monsters and Robotech-Voltron-Battletech giant robots fighting...what could be better?

Was this part three and I don't know about the previous movies?

The extremely lengthy introduction, clocked at over 17 minutes before they ever put the words Pacific Rim on the screen, held an entire movie's worth of story. Honestly, that introduction seemed more emotional and dramatic. That was a clear story of the rise of the robot. That seemed like it could have been developed into something greater.

A second movie could have concentrated more on the Hannibal Chow and drifting with the alien kaiju. They could have gotten their asses kicked a la Empire Strikes Back. A real downer that could only lead to the triumphant final act of this movie that I am watching now.

Did they try for a big trilogy and didn't get it? Therefore, they had to squeeze it all into one?

Is this a case of movie studios trying to do too much in one movie?

And I believe that is where the big movie studios are wrong. There are a lot of people now like me that wait for DVD or watch it streaming. A movie like this has to build by word of mouth, has to get what I call a video-cult following, where you finally watch a movie and wish you had seen it on the big screen. But sometimes either reviews or personal reasons don't let you see a movie at the theater.

It worked that way with Hunger Games, Pirates of the Caribbean, and others. Come on and admit it, more people will see the new Star Wars because of the following it has developed rather than if they had created a new science fiction franchise--at first. Pacific Rim could have been one of those big franchises.

Think of video sales. If Terminator had done too much squeezing, would I still have just bought the DVD of a 30-year-old movie like I just did?  That's a royalty investment that lasts.

I have told all my friends this and even blogged about it before, but I wish I could head up a kind of movie development review house where producers pitch the ideas to a geek like me and I come up with solid artistic and financial ideas to work on a movie. They'd have a solid geek support of ideas before they even got started.

I need a Kickstarter to fund my own company for this.

Comments